DECISION TO BE ANNOUNCED IN BRITISH SHOOTING OF UNARMED BRAZILIAN MAN
Mon Jul 10, 12:00 PM ET
LONDON - Prosecutors said Monday they would announce July 17 whether any police officers
are to face charges in the shooting death of a Brazilian electrician mistaken for a suicide bomber.
Jean Charles de Menezes,
27, was shot and killed by police on a London subway train
on July 22, 2005.
The shooting death came
two weeks after four suicide bombers killed themselves and 52 commuters on three subway trains and a bus, and a day after
a similar but failed set of attacks.
Police, who have apologized
for the killing, said later they had mistaken de Menezes for one of the suspects in the failed attacks.
The Crown Prosecution Service
said all the interested parties — including lawyers for the police and for de Menezes' family — would be informed
of the decision in a week. A public statement will follow soon after.
The Independent Police Complaints
Commission completed an investigation into the killing earlier this year, but has yet to publish its findings.
In May, ITV News reported
that leaked documents suggested no police officers would be charged.
The revelations led to claims
of a police cover-up, and the de Menezes family demanded the resignation of Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair.
A second commission investigation,
into the police department's handling of the case after the shooting, is still under way.