GROUND BEEF RECALLED DUE TO E. COLI SUSPICION
William Angelos| 08 October, 2006
company has recalled more than 5,000 lbs. of ground beef that might be contaminated with the potentially deadly E. Coli bacterium.
So far, there have been no reports of illness associated with the meat, which was distributed to seven states. A
voluntary recall has been issued for more than 5,000 lbs. of ground beef distributed to seven midwestern states for fear it
may be contaminated with E. coli, the US Food Safety and Inspection Service announced on Friday.
Jim's Market and Locker, located in Harlan,
Iowa, called back the ground beef patties after microbiological testing uncovered
the potential problem. There have been no reports of illnesses associated with the product.
The meat is thought to be tainted with the same strain of E. coli bacterium that has been
linked to three deaths and nearly 200 illnesses in a recent outbreak caused by contaminated spinach.
The recalled beef was sent to Georgia,
Iowa, Massachusetts, Nebraska,
New York, Texas and Wisconsin.
The following products have been recalled:
· 10 lb. boxes of "PACKED FOR: DAVIS MOUNTAIN ORGANIC BEEF,
100% CERTIFIED ORGANIC 3-1 BEEF PATTIES," with lot code G6-540 or G6-544;
· 5 lb.packages of "DAVIS MOUNTAINS 100% ORGANIC BEEF, LEAN GROUND
BEEF 90/10," with lot code G6-544;
· 1 lb. packages of "MASTER CHOICE 100% ORGANIC ANGUS BEEF,
90/10 GROUND BEEF," with lot code G6-544;
· 1 lb. packages of "DAVIS MOUNTAINS 100% CERTIFIED ORGANIC GROUND
BEEF," with lot code G6-544;
· 10.5 lb. boxes of "NEBRASKA,
BEEF GROUND BEEF PATTY 6 OZ," with lot code G6-541;
· 60 lb. boxes of "SPECIALLY SELECTED FOR: FARNER-BOCKEN
FOOD SERVICE BEEF PATTIE MIX 6/10," with lot code G6-542;
· 1 lb. packages of "PACKED FOR: IRWIN COUNTRY STORE, BEEF
GROUND BEEF 16 OZ," with lot code G6-541;
· 1 lb. blocks of "PACKED FOR: IRWIN COUNTRY STORE, BEEF
GROUND BEEF PATTIES 4-1," with code G6-541; and
· 10 lb. boxes of "DISTRIBUTED BY: STUBE RANCH, WAGYU BEEF,
BEEF GROUND BEEF PATTIES, 8 OZ. PATTIES," with lot code G6-546.
Each package displays "Est. 2424" inside the USDA mark of inspection.
Customers who bought any of the recalled meat
are urged to return it to the place of purchase.